Ni Sa Bula Vinaka! Welcome to Fijian Language Week Macawa Ni Vosa Vakaviti 2-8 October 2022. This year’s theme is Me vakabulabulataki, vakamareqeti, ka vakaqaqacotaki na vosa vakaviti, which means, nurture, preserve and sustain the Fijian language.
Fijian greetings – Listen to the audio
- Bula vinaka – Hello
- Sa vacava tiko Nibula – How are you
- Bula vinaka tiko – I’m fine
- Vinaka vaka levu – Thank you
- O cei na yacamu? – What is your name?
- Na yacaqu o Emmaline – I am Emmaline
- Moce mada – Bye
The vakamalolo is a sitting dance performed by men and women from the Lau group of islands in Eastern Fiji. Listen to a vakamalolo performed by Vua Ni Bau on 22 June 1977 in Lakeba, Lau Islands, Fiji.
Featured image: Sitting dance. Photograph by Garth Rogers, 1975. Anthropology Photographic Archive, record number 403900.