Creative Commons have you covered

If you’re a researcher authoring a thesis, journal article, book, or creative work, you’ll want to know about Creative Commons (CC).

By applying a CC licence to your work you let others know you are the copyright owner and must be attributed, at the same time making it clear what they can and cannot do with the work.

You can choose from a range of CC licences. Each allows for a certain set of permissions to be applied to your work, covering things such as attribution, how the work can be shared, the use of any derivatives from the work and whether commercial or non-commerical use is allowed.  See Tohatoha Aoteraoa Commons for full details about the CC licences.

Incorporating third-party content in your work?

There are also ways to alert users to third-party content which you may have used with permission, such as images or diagrams, which you may not have the right to licence under a CC licence.

Examples of how to write a notice alerting a reader to third-party content have been compiled by the University Copyright Officer and are available on the Copyright at Auckland website.

Visit Copyright at Auckland for guidance on all aspects of copyright for study, research and teaching.

Image on website homepage:
Creative Commons logo from Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand (CC-BY).